Thursday, May 10, 2012

Post Op

In case you have not been following my updates on Facebook let me fill you in what has been going on. Last Monday I got a call from Mom letting me know that my Dad was in the hospital. He was just going to have a stint put in but when they did some further test they found other blockages in the arteries around his heart. He was being transferred to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston to have a triple bypass. I was pretty concerned about the whole situation because my Dad also has MS which complicates everything. But I was also relieved that he was going to one of the best hospitals in the US, which gave some relief.

Then things got a even more complicated when I spoke to my Mom and Dad on Wednesday last week they also had found that Dad's carotid artery was 90% blocked as well so they were going to have to clear that as well. Once getting that news I knew then I had to go home. I booked the first flight I could back to Boston, because they were going to do the surgery on Friday and I need to see him before the procedure. I have to admit that I was fearing the worst, but of course hoping for the best.

I packed up my shit and made my way to up North. The flight was okay nothing special, I flew Delta. Mom picked me up and we headed in to see him. All considering Dad looked good and was in pretty good spirits despite what was going on. The next day we went back to the hospital this time joined by my brother Greg. By then they had already finished the carotid artery and that had gone well. The surgeon was pretty happy with the results and he said they had already started the bypass procedure. That was going to take about 8  hours to finish.

At about 4PM the heart surgeon came in to see us. They said everything was routine, though complicated because they also found an aneurysm on another artery so it end up being a quadruple bypass. He was surprised to find it because it did not show up on any of the tests. He was very lucky that they did find it and that it was small enough to be repaired. But none the less a very serious procedure. The surgeon was very to the point and didn't really go into details. He told us we should be able to see him once they move him to ICU in a couple of hours.

We decided to grab some dinner with the rest of my brother's family so I could see my nieces. Once dinner was finished Mom and I headed back in to see him. We found him he was still under the anesthesia but was responsive to our voices and would squeeze your hand. We stayed with for a couple of hours before heading home. We headed back in the next day and found him sitting up in a chair. He was still out of it but it was good to see him up.

The last few days he's been getting better each day and starting to move around, all which is good. He's getting back to his old self but still has a way to go. He can't get around like most of us because of the MS so the recovery is a bit more complicated. He will have to go to a Rehab facility so they can ease him into building his strength back and probably will not go home until he able to climb the stairs. But he does have a goal we have a family vacation planned for July I know he's look forward to going on that. It should be a lot of fun and I'm sure he'll be up for it and probably ready for a vacation by then.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, it has really meant a lot to me and my family. You all have been great now it's time to get things back to normal and on track.

2 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Robbie:
Not following you on Facebook, we had no idea at all of the traumas which you, your mother, brother and especially your father have been going through in recent days. It sounds so inadequate to say that we are so very sorry, but we are, and will most certainly have you all in our thoughts and remember you in our prayers during this very difficult and worrying time.

You may not be aware but we have had to face leukaemia, and then spinal surgery, over the past two years and so do know a little of what you are going through. What we have found is that the support of friends, both actual and in the blogosphere, have given us much needed strength on the occasions when things have looked rather grim. We wish with all our hearts the same for you.

Seth said...

OMG I'm so sorry I've missed your entire situation but so glad that everything turned out for the better.

*hugs*

Best wishes for your dad for a speedy recovery.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...