Monday, April 16, 2012

Sowed Soil

Today I was determined to get the vegatable garden planted or some like to say my "Victory Garden".  Did you know that Victory Gardens also called "war gardens" or "food gardens for defense", were vegetablefruit and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks in United States during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. See you learned something new today and you weren't even trying that hard :-)


Now we have the history lesson out of the way,  I was out of the house early and hit Lowe's to pick up the seeds and plants. I'm glad I picked today because we are supposed to get some rain tonight and in the AM tomorrow. So I should not have to water them, though I did give them a quick drink just to hold them over until the showers come. I bet your curious what I planted? Well maybe you are not but I'm going to tell you anyway :-) 


I have three spots that I plant in 2 raised beds and one that is right in the ground. One of the raise beds (not shown) I use as an herb garden in there I have Cilantro, Oregano, Green Onions (seed), Thyme, Rosemary, Basil and Parsley. I love having an herb garden I can add them to whatever I'm cooking. I especially like Thyme and Oregano I still smell them from when I was in Crete, they grew wild everywhere. 


In the other raised bed I planted 5 different types of Tomatoes (I love tomatoes), Japanese Eggplant (its a first this year), Green and Orange Bell Peppers, Summer Squash, Jalapeno Peppers and Cucumbers.


The final bed I planted Okra, Green Beans (seed), Lettuce(seed), Spinach(seed), Cabbage(seed) and Zucchini. Right now that rounds out my plantings for this year and I hope it's a good growing season. 


We also have strawberry plants in one of the flower beds and I noticed today they already have some berries on them.
I just hope the critters leave them alone. Last year they did not nor would they leave my tomatoes alone. I think it was a few of the neighborhood squirrels but I never actually saw them so it probably could be a number of critters Possum, Chipmunks or maybe the one of the birds. 

  
The one thing I've always had trouble with has been Zucchini and Summer Squash I hope this year is different. Either way I'm having a good feeling about the garden this year. There is one thing I can say nothing taste better than a vegetable you picked from your own garden that you weed, watered and fed. If all goes well I hope to be having fresh salad by the end of May and pickles in June. Oh and fresh Tomatoes are the best!

3 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Robbie:
What we miss most about no longer having a garden is home grown vegetables. And here you are sowing the seed and preparing your own in readiness for the coming season. Wonderful. We do hope too that you had the anticipated rainfall - so much better, somehow, than watering from a can or sprinkler.

Now that you have done the 'digging for Victory', we hope that later on we shall get to see some of the results!

Robbie R said...

Jane and Lance you know you do not need a plot of land to have some fresh veggies or herbs. Herbs are easy, for the most part they are weeds and well will grow in about any conditions given light and water. Veggies can be a little more difficult because of all of the hybridization over the centuries so they can be finicky. If you have a small outdoor space that gets some sunlight you probably can grow them in any pail. check out the book"Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces" by Gayla Trail.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Robbie:
Thank you for taking the trouble to give us this link. We certainly think that we shall try some salad crops in a container this year, and basil which we love with a dressing on tomatoes which, in Hungary, are excellent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...