Friday, April 13, 2012

Paraskevidekatriaphobia


Paraskevidekatriaphobia (n): a fear of Friday the 13th.
People who suffer from -- well, I'm not going to type it again -- are terrified by today's page on the calendar. Did you know 8% of people have this phobia? They won't go out, to work or in some case leave their beds. Here is some information about it...
Paraskevidekatriaphobia appears to be rooted in pre-Christian religious traditions, when the Norse god Loki invited himself to the Banquet of Valhalla, becoming the 13th guest. His mischief caused the death of Baldr, a favorite of the gods. Early Christian traditions also highlight 13 as an unlucky number. Christ's betrayer, Judas, may have been the 13th to join the table at the Last Supper.
Are they Phobias or just superstitions or both? I don't consider myself to be superstitious;  I'm not afraid of black cats, tight spaces or even walking under ladders. Though I wouldn't recommend the walking under a ladder you might end up with a can of paint on your head. But lets face it we are scared of a lot of things. These phobias tend to trigger our fight or flight mechanism in our bodies. Some people stand their ground and can handle it . Others to say it plainly just FREAK OUT! I'm not making fun of anyone I think we all have something coded in our brains that trigger this senses. 

It only becomes a problem when it progress from a phobia to a compulsion. I think that is a key with anything, we must think clearly and use precautions. I'm not afraid of dogs, snakes or spiders but I'm also not going to approach one and pick  it up when I'm not familiar with. To overcome these phobias it would be different for everyone. I wouldn't recommend dancing on the edge of the roof if you have fear of heights, because lets face it it could end tragically. In controlled situations and with support we can learn to deal with them. 

Here are some of the more common Phobias...

1. Arachnophobia:

  • The fear of spiders.
  • This phobia tends to affect women more than men.

2. Ophidiophobia:

  • The fear of snakes.
  • Often attributed to evolutionary causes, personal experiences, or cultural influences.

3. Acrophobia:

  • The fear of heights.
  • This fear can lead to anxiety attacks and avoidance of high places.

4. Agoraphobia:

  • The fear of situations in which escape is difficult.
  • This may include crowded areas, open spaces, or situations that are likely to trigger a panic attack. People will begin avoiding these trigger events, sometimes to the point that they cease leaving their home.
  • Approximately one third of people with panic disorder develop agoraphobia.

5. Cynophobia:

  • The fear of dogs.
  • This phobia is often associated with specific personal experiences, such as being bitten by a dog during childhood.

6. Astraphobia:

  • The fear of thunder and lightening.
  • Also known as Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, or Ceraunophobia.

7. Trypanophobia:

  • The fear of injections.
  • Like many phobias, this fear often goes untreated because people avoid the triggering object and situation.

8. Social Phobias:

  • The fear of social situations.
  • In many cases, these phobias can become so severe that people avoid events, places, and people that are likely to trigger an anxiety attack.

9. Pteromerhanophobia:

  • The fear of flying.
  • Often treated using exposure therapy, in which the client is gradually and progressively introduced to flying.

10. Mysophobia:

  • The fear of germs or dirt.
  • May be related to obsessive-compulsive disorder.

If you want to see a complete list of phobias I recommend checking out http://phobialist.com/ their list is pretty extensive. I was actually surprised at some of them, laughed at others and agreed why someone could have that one. Just remember even Superman had a weakness of that glowing purple element Kryptonite. Just something to think about and I hope you do have a great day and better weekend. 

2 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Robbie:
Generally we should like to think of ourselves relatively free of phobias and, as you, do not regard ourselves in any way as superstitious.

We prefer, if at all possible, not to fly and often travel overland between Budapest and London. But this is mainly based on a dislike of everything associated with airports and aeroplanes rather than any fear. In fact the landing, the most serious part of the whole experience, we find quite exhilarating!

Thank you so much for becoming a Follower of our blog. It is much appreciated.

Kellemes hétvégét!

Robbie R said...

Thank you Jane and Lance, I was try to think of anything that triggers my flight or flight response and I really could not. I'm definently not claustrophobic I was on Submarines when I was in the Navy. Flying not afraid of that but I have to agree with you about the travel experience I hate it, it's to troublesome. Now I'm not crazy about roller coasters but I have rode a few in my time. I'm still not a fan. Now being buried alive or drowning again I was in the Navy and stationed on a sub, If we went down we all were dead, and it wasn't going to be from drowning. As for being buried alive, I want to be cremated, I don't want to take up a useful plot of land with my rotting corpse. Just use me as fertilizer. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...