Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fight Homophobia

A friend of mine posted this on his blog and I thought it had to be shared. It's something that this country and the world needs to address. Homophobia is that last bastion of Civil Rights that we need to knock down. This is the 21st century in this day and I wish we weren't still addressing these issues. I hope that you enjoy his sarcasm and get the point that he is trying to make.

“Gay Bill Of Rights” - English version

  • I have the right to respect myself from birth onwards and not to suffer for years until I gain the courage to do so; if I gain that courage, if the world around me allows me that courage.
  • I have the right to be straightforward about my serological status, if I want - without any awkwardness for me or for you.
  • I have the right to look fabulous or to look butch.
  • I have the right to be bitter and angry. As well as happy.
  • I have the right to say “NO” and the right to say “YES!” even if that “YES!” happens to clash with your particular version of morality.
  • I have the right to overachieve as a result of being made to feel inadequate by an unloving society altogether for the same reason.
  • I have the right to call me a faggot or a dyke, but you don’t.
  • I have the right to ask for emotional support, or to keep it inside until I explode.
  • I have the right to mince and the right not to mince.
  • I have the right to talk about my sex life just as much as you talk about your straight sex life.
  • I have the right to walk home without being beaten.
  • I have the right to my home and my job, even after my employer or landlord finds out that I sleep with men and/or women.
  • I have the right to make a living either as an interior decorator or as a garage mechanic.
  • I have the right to see my children from a previous heterosexual relationship or have children in a homosexual relationship.
  • I have the right to create a home with another man/woman and to all the protections and privileges that straight people get when they do the same thing.
  • I have the right to flaunt it whether this amounts to getting married to another man/woman on television or just holding hands at lunch.
  • I have the right to tell you when you are being homophobic.
  • I have the right to know my own history and my queer elders, who they were and what they did for themselves and for me.
I have the right to many, many more things that the straight world takes for granted but most of all I have the right to be me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...