Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Prepped for Planting

Over the weekend I built a raised garden bed for some veggies it took me about 4hrs. I used recycled 4x8's from a bed in the back yard for this one it's 6'x8'x12". So today I need to get filled for planting. First I hit the local Lowe's and picked up a roll of weed fabric, 10 bags of topsoil and one bag of manure. Then I stopped off at one of Dekalb county's sanitation facilities for some compost (3/4 of truck bed). Once home I lined the insides of the bed with the fabric to prevent leakage and the unloaded and mixed the potting mix. I was actually surprised that I had the perfect amount for the bed and it's nice and full. Thought I still need to get more fabric to put on top I missed on that one by about 2 lengths of the bed.

After cleaning the bed of the truck out, I planted some Lettuce, Spinach, Radishes, Carrots and Beets in the old garden which is only a few feet away. I'll probably add Okra to that same area in the next few weeks, it did pretty well there last year. Next I tended to my herb garden on the other-side of the yard where I cut back the Garlic  and weeded around the Rosemary. Then I prepared and planted Oregano, Basil and Parsley seeds. All that is left for over there is some Thyme plants.

In the new bed I'm planning to plant some Squash (summer and zucchini), Cucumbers,Tomatoes, Beans, Green peppers and Chili's, at least that's the plan it could change. I'll probably take some photos then to show you all of the hard work. The true satisfaction is the harvest all summer long especially tomatoes, nothing beats a fresh one from your own garden.

Oh and if you think that this is a distraction from the poor start of the Red Sox's you are wrong? I'm not worried I know things will turn around, I just hope it happens this week and not next month. I still stand by my predictions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...