Friday, October 15, 2010

To Office of the President... Subject DADT

Tonight I penned a letter to the President that I will mail tomorrow. I just couldn't take all of the bullshit regarding DADT that has been going on. This has been an insult to our troops gay and straight that have had to deal with this. I urge you to write your own. I hope that my letter inspires you to let him know how you feel. I know I could have sent an email but I don't think that is personal enough to relay the feeling that I have.
President Barack H. Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Mr. President;
I am writing you today in regards to the recent news about the US Military’s policy “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. I am very disappointed with your leadership in seeking the repeal of this policy and your administrations’ decision to appeal Judge Phillips ruling. As a US Navy veteran and a gay man I have seen firsthand during my time of service how this policy can adversely affected a unit’s morale and the careers of young men and women. While stationed at Pearl Harbor I saw how a witch hunt works and the result. I watched 18 friends and fellow service members from all different branches discharged.

These were all fine Airmen, Sailors and Soldiers, they were Officers, Non-Commissioned officers and Enlisted. They were pilots, translators, yeoman, technicians, and Chief of the Boat on a submarine. These were people that as a held positions that required years of training and that the Military had spent millions of dollars on training. These were people that went to work each day risking their lives to defend their country. These were people that were proud to wear the uniform and served honorably. These were people that had their dreams shattered because of a bad policy and prejudices.

During that time period and through the rest of my careers I had to wonder “If I was next?” I had to look over my shoulder and sometimes wondered if I was being pursued. Had to worry if one of these men turned me in to try and find favor with the prosecuting command. This was a mental burden that I had to contend with because of something beyond my control.

After World War II, desegregation of all U.S. Armed Forces was done by order of President Harry S. Truman in July 1948 via Executive Order 9981. Mr. President your administration could have acted similarly by choosing not to appeal the court ruling. When President Truman order desegregation he did not ask for the opinion of military, He did it and faced a lot of criticism because of it. But he didn’t care, he did it because it was the right thing to do. Instead you worry about how the Generals and Admirals’ will handle the situation. You waste time and taxpayers money conducting fact finding missions when all you have to do is consult our allies.

It’s a fact that our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq have or are probably already serving with integrated force if they were with a joint strike command. They have already had gay or lesbians serving alongside them only in a different uniform. But the fight regardless and do their duty honorable and heroically.

What it comes down to Mr. President is leadership and doing what is right. These Soldiers, Airman, Marines and Sailors on active duty or in reserves should not have to hide who they are. Their loved ones should be allowed to have the support of the command when they are deployed. They should know that if something dreadful should happen to them that these loved ones will be taken care of just like any other military personnel’s’ dependent would.

What I ask Mr. President is that you have the appeal with drawn and work with the court. This policy should not be allowed to persist any longer. Let these people serve with dignity and not duress and should not have to look over their shoulders.

Thank you, Mr. President for your time.

1 comment:

Jason Shaw said...

Such a wonderful personal letter. Much respect to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...