Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tomato or Tamato just Stuff Them

This has to be one of my favorite times of the year. Why? Because tomatoes are now available fresh, whether it's from your own garden, local farms market or your the mega-mart they are now the best. In my own garden I've only got picked a few cherry but I'm hoping I start to get some big ones, if the squirrels will keep their paws off of them. So in keeping that in mind I wanted to share one of the best tomato recipes Stuffed Tomatoes.

I was inspired to make this after watching a Good Eats episode. But,when I make it I use ground beef, I hate mushrooms, but I left that in there for my Vegan friends (Hi Nikki). I also use cooked white rice instead of the bread crumbs.  I basically make an Italian meat sauces with rice mixed in with Parmesan cheese and topped with Mozzarella the last 5 mins of cooking. If you make the meat sauce you will need to add Oregano, Thyme, Basil, and 1 can of Tomato sauce. If you need to make this on the fly I guess you could use your favorite jarred sauce, but make sure you dice up and add the meat of the tomatoes. You could also use this recipe to stuff a large Zucchinis or Eggplants.

Stuffed Tomatoes

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown and the Food Network

Prep Time: 30 min
Inactive Prep Time: 1 min
Cook Time: 15 min

Serves:
6 servings

Ingredients
* 1lb. Ground beef
* 1 cup dried morel, 1 cup dried chanterelle, 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
* 1 cup warm water
* 3 cups white wine ( I don't use wine)
* 6 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded plus 1 tomato, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons minced shallots
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 cup finely diced onion
* 1 1/4 cup panko crumbs (Japanese) or cooked White Rice
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 3 1/2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Put mushrooms, water, and wine into a container and soak until mushrooms are rehydrated. Remove mushrooms and squeeze out excess liquid. Reserve the liquid. Roughly chop mushrooms.


Sprinkle the cored and seeded tomatoes with salt and place upside down to drain. In a saute pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add shallots, garlic, and onion. Cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes then add 1/2 cup of the reserved mushroom liquid to pan and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed. Add the panko and the chopped tomato and stir to combine. Season the mushroom mixture with salt and pepper and remove from heat.



Preheat the broiler. Mix together the room temperature goat cheese and parsley and reserve. Stuff each tomato with the mushroom stuffing and top with thin layer of goat cheese mixture. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and put under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is slightly melted and golden.

If this doesn't sound good to you then you could try what my mom does. She takes a large tomato per person and quarters it, then place that on a bed of a few lettuce leaves. Next you need to mix up some Tuna, Salomon or Crab salad. After place one scoop in the middle of the tomato and serve with Olive Oil and red wine vinegar or Italian dressing. Some Cracked pepper and sea salt would be good also. Enjoy
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...