Thursday, June 11, 2009

Frappe


While stationed on Crete, I was introduced to this yummy drink. Though it is non-alcoholic one could if they wanted spike the punch, if they felt the urge. It was my first or second day on the island and I was still trying to figure out the local customs and cuisine. In a cafe in Chania, I saw on the drink menu one called a frappe. Being from the northeastern US, I was thinking of a nice thick ice cream milkshake. I watched as the girl made it she took a few teaspoons of Nescafe instant coffee, sugar, milk and a scoop of ice and blended it. I was caught a bit off guard and afraid to reject it, I happily paid for it. Instant coffee? Anyone that knows me understands I love my coffee, so I think that it was going to be nasty, but it is yummy.

Ever since then I keep a small jar of Nescafe in the cupboard for hot and muggy days like today. When I make it I first put the coffee and sugar in the glass with about 2 shots of half and half. Then I blend that using my Bodum electric milk frother. Once it is starting to foam I start pouring in 2% milk until the glass is about 3/4 of the way full. Next just add some crushed or ice cubes and enjoy. It's pretty refreshing on a hot day and a hell of a lot cheaper than frappuccino from Starbucks.



Frappe
It's made to your taste so vary the ingredients as necessary;
2.5 teaspoon of Nescafe instant coffee
2 teaspoons of sugar (optional)
2 Shots of 1/2 and 1/2 (optional)
about a pint of milk
1/2 of scoop of Ice (your call)


1 comment:

Pilgrim said...

In France we call ititalian, " Caffe lecce, but we have it as Caffée au Lait. Propz Pilgrim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...