Sunday, July 09, 2006

Georgia Primary; GET OUT AND VOTE

Well, here we are 9 days until the Georgia Primary (18th of July). I just want to remind everyone that you should vote. I don’t give a damn who you vote for and I’m not going to tell you whom to vote for at least not today. I have included a couple of links at the bottom to help you find out who is on the ballot. All I want to do is encourage you to get off your ass and cast your ballot. I don’t want to hear any lame excuses that you didn’t have the time the poll will be open from 7AM – 7PM, that’s 12 damn hours.
Seriously if you feel that your going to be late for work then let your employer know that your going to vote before work and you might be late. Just make sure that before you do head to the polls that you have an ID with you, power bills will no longer an acceptable form of ID. Now I know it has been somewhat of a local controversy here in Georgia about having to present an ID at the polls.
I understand the premises behind it and I have heard the argument about disenfranchising many poor and minority voters. But in Massachusetts you have to show an ID at the poll and they check you in and out. So I don’t see what the big deal is, plus how can you even function now a days with out some form of ID. Maybe, I’m just used to it from having been in the Military and you had to show an ID so often it’s almost second nature.
I do see the need for the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and I actually do believe that it needs to be updated to encompass Electronic Voting apparatus, especially those made by Diebold. I do believe there is a need for a paper back up of all votes cast and that everyone should receive a receipt, just as they would if they made a purchase. There is just too much of an opportunity for unscrupulous individuals to do unscrupulous things, see the 2000 and 2004 US Presidential elections. Here’s a an article that appeared in this weeks edition of CREATIVE LOAFING Magazine about “Caging” Voters http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A93468 .

Project Vote Smart
http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm

Qualifying Candidate Database
http://www.sos.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/qualifyingindex.asp


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...